I'm a customer
I'm a landlord/tenant
It’s your move

Here’s what you’ll need to move your energy:

  • Move in and move out dates

  • Your new address

  • A phone number that we can contact you at (before, during and after the move if possible)

  • Also, if you haven’t done so, setting up an online account can be a convenient way to manage your account and move

Moving tips and checklist
Click to download

I’m a new customer

If you’re moving within Alberta* you can choose a competitive retail plan for your electricity and natural gas or the Regulated Rate Option (RRO) in your service area.

*ENMAX Energy serves most areas in Alberta except for Medicine Hat, local gas co-operatives and some REAs.

Frequently asked questions

Can I transfer my plan from ENMAX Energy when I move?

I’m moving to Alberta, how do I set up my electricity?

Is there anything special that I need to do with my electricity when moving?

Do I need to turn off my meter (fuse box main power supply) at my old home when I move?