I'm a current customer
I'm a property manager
It’s your move

Here’s what you’ll need to move your energy:

  • Move in and move out dates

  • Your new address

  • A phone number that we can contact you at (before, during and after the move if possible)

I’m a new customer

I want electricity and natural gas set-up at my business

If you’re moving your business anywhere in Alberta, you can choose a competitive retail plan for your electricity and natural gas or the Regulated Rate Option or Default rate in your service area. Learn more about our services and find one that best suits your business needs and objectives.

Customers are free to purchase natural gas services or electricity services from a retailer of their choice. For a list of retailers, visit or call 310-4822 (toll free in Alberta).

Frequently asked questions

1. Can I transfer my plan from ENMAX Energy when I move my business?

2. How do I set up electricity and/or gas for my business?

3. Is there anything special that I need to do with my electricity when moving my business?

4. Do I need to turn off my meter (fuse box main power supply) at my previous business location when I move?

5. Should I have the natural gas supply turned off to my business when I move?

6. Who is responsible for the power or paying the bills at my old address after I leave?

7. How do I make sure I don’t end up paying for the prev​ious business owner’s energy use?